Followers

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Knowing your limits with shopping: My Shopping Binges



Sometimes, I look around me and wonder what I was thinking acquiring the things I have from bags to shoes (you should see my shoe rack), accessories i.e. jewelry, belts purses, etc, most of which I haven’t used. I used to employ every financial resource in my disposal to ensure that I got any item I saw online or in-store to the point of cutting my feeding costs to allow me enjoy my daily or weekly shopping. 

A day or two would not go by without the postman coming by mine to deliver; There was even a lady from Royal Mail who was assigned to my area code that laughed so hard at my shopping binges, and my housemate was worried too. I remember a day when i almost passed out at TopShop...LOL!

Are you a compulsive shopper?

You are one if you…
1.    Buy things you want whether or not you can afford them
2.   Mood-wise, you are at your peak when you shop or have new things
3.   Keep buying things because you like them without having a need for them
4.   Splurge on shopping binges at the expense of your other needs

Just like one may be addicted to gambling, drugs or alcohol is the same way an individual maybe addicted to shopping.  

Oniomania is the term that describes the compulsive desire to shop. A compulsive shopper is one who has no limits on their need to shop, which could lead to deprivation of needs, and even bankruptcy or shoplifting.

Causes of compulsive buying
For me…I just enjoyed being on the high street, having new stuff, enjoying the deals…I’m short of reasons* EyesClosed

Other reasons may be…
·      People buy compulsively as a way of dealing with feelings
·      Some may have grown up in financial deprivation and shopping compulsively is their way of catching up for lost times

You could be on your way to recovery if you employ the following strategies…

1.    Leave your purse at home when going anywhere close to a mall and make sure you don’t carry your card with you (I tried this and even had to rush home and grab my purse…LOL! My case was critical)
2.   Pay in cash to track your spending
3.   Avoid storing your card details on shopping sites
4.   Make a Monthly Budget/shopping list that you’d stick to
5.    If you can, put a STOP to window shopping

I hope this helps…

I’m still on the road to recovery. Being back in Nigeria has helped although I still shop a lot online. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment